Ngoc is a qualified Vietnamese lawyer and possesses a wealth of experience in investment, cross-border M&A, corporate, finance, infrastructure, capital market, employment, anti-trust, and tax. Ngoc has likewise been involved in various industries including consumer goods, food and beverages, energy, pharmaceutical, chemicals, real property, healthcare, and water.
Ngoc has been with VILAF for more than 11 years. Prior to joining VILAF, he was with British Petroleum, the operator and major shareholder in the USD 1.3 billion integrated gas-to-power Nam Con Son project, for 3 years as an internal auditor and compliance officer.
He was the Vietnam National Reporter for the Tax Committee of the International Bar Association (IBA) in 2018 and 2019.
Among notable projects in which Ngoc has participated include:
- Advised Mondelez International in the USD370 million acquisition of the food business of Kinh Do Corporation
- Advised SCG Chemicals in relation to the acquisitions of equity interests of its JV partners in USD5.4 billion Long Son Petrochemicals Project
- Advised MetroPac Water in two acquisitions of shares in local corporate groups owning a number of water projects in Vietnam
- Advised Minh Phu in the sale of 35.1% stake of its company to one of Japan’s largest trading group, Mitsui & Co. Mitsui for US$150 million. Minh Phu, the world’s largest shrimp integrator from farming to processing and sales, owns two processing plants and shrimp farms equivalent to an area of 900 hectares in Southern Vietnam
- Advised Auchan in the sale of its retail business to Saigon Co.op that included 18 supermarkets nationwide, including its e-commerce platform
- Advised Ngoc Nghia Industry-Services-Trading Joint Stock Company, a pioneer and leading manufacturer of PET (polyethylene terephthalate) packaging in Vietnam in a private equity investment by a consortium led by VinaCapital
- Advised Nawaplastic Industries, an affiliate of SCG Group in acquiring 29.51% stake in Binh Minh Plastics Company for US$102 million
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation as the primary contractor in the construction of Ben Thanh – Suoi Tien Metro Line 1 Project, Vietnam’s first metro line project
- Advised Creed Group in investing USD200 million for 20% equity stake holding in Vietnam’s real estate company, An Gia Investment, and 50% equity stake holding in a number of An Gia Investment’s residential projects held via a holding company, to develop “Japanese quality” housing services in Ho Chi Minh City
- Advised TC Flexible Packaging Co, a subsidiary of Siam Cement Group (SCG) in relation to its acquisition of 99.8% shareholding in BATICO, a Vietnamese packaging manufacturing company in Vietnam
- Advised Hoang Anh Gia Lai Group in the issuance and listing of USD90 million bonds with the Singapore Stock Exchange, Vietnam’s first international straight bond transaction
- Advised Dragon Capital in relation to tax matters in its restructuring and subsequent divestment from convertible bonds and other instruments in Nui Phao Mining Project and Masan Group
- Advised two USD4 billion integrated casino, hotel and residential projects on tax planning issues concerning management fees and casino operation
- Advised Infineon Technologies AG on Vietnamese merger control in relation to its acquisition of Cypress Semiconductor Corporation
- Advised a Thai investor on Vietnamese merger control in relation to its acquisition of a listed company in Vietnam
- Advised a number of petroleum groups in relation to Vietnamese tax matters concerning upstream oil and gas projects
- Advised a number of foreign private equity funds on the capital gains tax in M&A transactions