VILAF has consistently ranked on the first tier for the Energy and Infrastructure practice by most reputable international legal surveys, including IFLR1000 and Legal 500.
VILAF was honored to be part of Vietnam’s first BOT power project in 2002 and had the opportunity to participate as the counsel for either sponsors or lenders in other subsequent BOT power projects in Vietnam. Taping its extensive experiences in the BOT thermal power projects, VILAF has also been one of the few law firms actively advising foreign investors in relation to renewable energy projects, which have been a new and emerging area of interest for both domestic and foreign investors in Vietnam.
VILAF’s energy and infrastructure practice covers mergers and acquisitions, project finance and project development. We have advised projects in coal power, gas power, wind, solar, water, expressway and port infrastructure.
Client’s remark about VILAF’s infrastructure practice:
“VILAF is extensively knowledgeable, has expertise and is innovative in providing advice on legal issues of Vietnam in relation to infrastructure projects.” (IFLR1000 2012 Edition)
“This prominent domestic firm is one of the leaders in the projects and infrastructure sector.” (Chambers 2012 Edition)
Client’s remark about VILAF’s energy practice:
“VILAF is a leading Vietnamese law firm in the energy sector. Their services are very good and they provide detailed advice for the client.” (Chambers 2022 Edition)
“Their services are direct, to the point and practical.” (Chambers 2022 Edition)
Below are some of our recent prominent experiences:
- Advised sponsors including China Southern Power Grid Co., Ltd. (“CSG”), China Power International Holding Limited (“CPIH”) and Vinacomin Power Holding Corporation Limited (“VP”), and the BOT Company being Vinh Tan 1 Power Company Limited in relation to the negotiation of the BOT documents and financing of US$1.4 billion Vinh Tan 1 BOT Power Project in Binh Thuan
- Advised the sponsors in relation to the US$2.8 billion Nghi Son 2 BOT Thermal Power Project
- Advised SCG Chemicals in the acquisition of equity interests from Qatar Petroleum International and PetroVietnam in US$5.7 billion Long Son Petrochemical Complex Project and in the financing arrangement for this project
- Advised CPECC in its joint venture acquisition of a holding company which owns Jaks Hai Duong BOT Power Project, a US$1.87 billion coal-fired power plant project to be developed on a BOT basis in Vietnam
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation in a joint venture with local sponsors to develop Van Phong 1 1,300 MW Coal-fired BOT Power Plant
- Advised JBIC and international lenders in the financing of Vung Ang 2 1,200MW BOT Power Project
- Advised OneEnergy in a joint venture with local sponsors to develop Vinh Tan 3 2×600 MW Coal Fired Power Plant
- Advised international lenders in relation to Phu My 2.2. BOT Gas-fired Power Project, Vietnam’s first BOT power project
- Advised Phu My 3 BOT Gas-fired Power Project Company on a number of development matters
- Advised Mitra Energy in a Reverse Takeover of Petra Petroleum pursuant to the TSX Venture Exchange (“Exchange”) Policy 5.2 – Changes of Business and Reverse Takeovers
- Advised JPower (Electric Power Development Co., Ltd.) in the divestment of its entire 5% shares from Petro Vietnam Power Nhon Trach 2 JSC
- Advised General Electric Corporation (GE) in relation to the acquisition of the French conglomerate, Alstom SA’s power and grid businesses in Vietnam, as part of GE’s larger worldwide acquisition of such Alstom SA’s power business