Phong is recommended as a top-tier lawyer in Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A and Infrastructure & Energy by many reputable legal directories such as Chambers & Partners, Legal 500, IFLR 1000 and AsiaLaw. Market sources declare that Tran Tuan Phong is “very well known for business law.” (Chambers & Partners 2017). The AsiaLaw, 2019 Edition, said about Phong “Phong is sharp, effective and knowledgeable”. “Tran Tuan Phong is a leading name in the market, regularly advising domestic and international companies on M&A transactions and joint venture investments. He is well versed in the finance, private equity and construction industries.” (Chambers & Partners 2019).
With his broad experience, Phong has represented numerous international sponsors and lenders in relation to large-scale projects in oil & gas, power, chemical, automobile, aircraft, sea-port, highway, telecommunication, insurance, real estate development, retail and distribution and consumer goods industries.
Phong is a highly-regarded attorney for his admirable capacity to provide practical solutions that suit the clients’ needs and requirements.
- Advised a consortium of Marubeni Corporation and KEPCO in the bidding, development and financing of the Nghi Son 2 Power Project in Vietnam. This is the first power plant of international tender in Vietnam which has been successfully achieving financial close in August 2018 on limited-recourse project financing from JBIC, K-EXIM and commercial lenders. This deal is awarded as the APAC Coal-fired Power Project of the Year 2018 by IJ Global and the Project Finance of the Year 2019 by ALB.
- Involved in almost all BOT and high-profile infrastructure projects in Vietnam including ACWA Power – Nam Dinh 1 Power Project, Sumitomo Corporation – Van Phong 1 Power Project, AES – Mong Duong 2 Power Project, OneEnergy/Mitsubishi – Vinh Tan 3 Power Project, Chinese sponsors – Vinh Tan 1 Power Project, ITACO – Kien Luong 1 Power Project, Chevron – gas pipeline project, Premier Oil – gas transportation, Shell downstream projects, Phu My 2.2 Power Project, Wartsila BOT Power Project, Binh An BOT Water Project.
- Advised Grab in relation to its acquisition of the Southeast Asia business of Uber Technologies Inc. in Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand. This deal is awarded as the M&A Deal (Premium) of the Year 2019 by ALB.
- Advised Long Son Petrochemicals in relation to its financing via an US$ 3.2 billion syndicated loan to develop its Long Son Petrochemicals Complex in Ba Ria – Vung Tau province, Vietnam. This financing is awarded as the APAC Petrochemicals Deal of the Year 2018 by IJGlobal.
- Advised Vinhomes JSC (Vingroup’s subsidiary) and the major shareholders in relation to the 144A rule international placement and listing on the Ho Chi Minh City Stock Exchange (HOSE) with the offer value of US$1.4 billion, the largest listing ever recorded on HOSE till now. The deal was awarded as the Best Vietnam Deal and Best IPO Deal of the year 2018 by Finance Asia and as the Best Equity Deal of the Year 2018 by The Asset.
- Advised Vincom Retail (Vingroup’s subsidiary) and the major shareholders in relation to the 144A rule international placement and listing on the Ho Chi Minh City Stock Exchange (HOSE) with the offer value of US$740 million, the largest listing ever recorded on HOSE till November 2017.
- Advising Vingroup in the US$400 billion preference shares to Hanwha Group (for the first time of this deal in Vietnam)
- Advising Credit Suisse in the structuring of a private placement of near US$270 million by Vietcombank to GIC Private Limited
- Advising CVC in relation to its acquisition of shares in Asia Commercial Bank as listed in Hanoi Stock Exchange
- Advising TE Healthcare and TPG in investment in hospital businesses in Vietnam
- Advising Siam City Cement in the US$560 million acquisition of LafargeHolcim’s 65% shares in Holcim Cement Vietnam
- Advising CapitaLand in series of their real eatate acquisition in Hanoi
- Assisting Vietcombank in relation to its establishment of a representative office in New York, USA
- Advising Chevron in relation to due diligence and participation in US$1 billion pipeline project with PetroVietnam
- Deputy Secretary of Vietnam Bar Federation
- Chairman for the first term, Member of Management Board of Vietnam Business Lawyer Club (VBLC), Vietnam Bar Federation
- Member of international organisations and professional associations such as Asia Pacific Loan Market Association (APLMA), International Bar Association (IBA), American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam (AmCham), Aviation Working Group – South East Asia (AWG SEA)
- Co-Team Leader of the Infrastructure Group of (Vietnam Business Forum)