With 19 years of experience, including more than 10 years working at VILAF, Trung has become a Partner at VILAF since 2019. As a banking and finance lawyer, Trung has participated in numerous domestic bonds and international bonds issuance transactions, and assisted a wide-range of lenders in their lending operations in general and project financing activities in Vietnam in particular.
As the key member in the aviation team of VILAF, Trung has actively assisted foreign parties (such as Dubai Aerospace Enterprise, GECAS, Wings Capital Markets, Ping An Leasing, Avolon, AWAS, Macquarie, etc.) in various aircraft financing deals for purchasing/sale and lease back/refinancing aircrafts for airlines in Vietnam (including Vietnam Airlines, VietJet, Jetstar Pacific, Bamboo Airlines).
Trung is positioned by Legal 500 in the Next generation of Leading lawyers in Banking and Finance since 2019. Recently, Trung is named in the A-list of Top 100 lawyers in Vietnam populated by Asia Business Law Journal.
Clients also comment Trung as “attentive to client’s need and good legal knowledge” (AsiaLaw 2021 Edition); “Good engagement, afford to reach success. Mr. Vu Le Trung – positive and individual approach.” (Legal 500 2021 Edition); “Well versed in Vietnamese corporate, commercial and real estate law, conscientious, and always readily available to address clients’ requirements for urgent meetings and assignments,” (Asia Business Law Journal); and “Proactive, attentive, possess good knowledge of Vietnamese law and commercial practices.” (IFLR 1000 2021 Edition).
Among notable projects in which Trung has participated include:
- Assisted Bangkok Bank in relation to its financing to CMX Renewable Energy Solar Power Plant project in Ninh Thuan Province, the largest-scale solar power project in Vietnam
- Advised on the issuance of several domestic bonds guaranteed by CGIF (a trust fund of Asia Development Bank), such as the issuance of VND9,000 billion bonds by Masan Consumer Holding, VND1,135 billion by Mobile World Investment Corporation, VND2,330 billion by Hoan My Medical Corporation, VND2,318 billion bonds by Refrigeration Electrical Engineering Corporation, or VND2,150 billion bonds by Hong Phong 1 Energy (the first project bond for renewable energy project guaranteed by CGIF in Vietnam)
- Assisted Vingroup in its corporate bond issuance of VND2,000 billion by private placement, this is one of the very first corporate bonds that are listed in the HCMC Stock Exchange
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank in relation to a US$300 million loan to Vietnam Development Bank, a US$100 million loan facility to Novaland, and a US$100 million loan facility to VietinBank
- Advised a consortium of foreign lenders in relation to US$181 million loans to Bitexco
- Advised ANZ in relation to a US$100 million loan to Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam (BIDV)
- Advised Techcombank in relation to a series of loan provided to Electricity of Vietnam (EVN) and its subsidiaries
- Advised an affiliate company of Berjaya Corporation Berhad in relation to its divestment in the company operating Intercontinental Hanoi West Lake Hotel
- Advised Shinsei Bank in relation to its acquisition of 49% of Military Bank’s equity interest in MCredit, a finance company arm of Military Bank
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank Limited in relation to its acquisition of 49% of the total equity of BIDV Finance Leasing Company, a finance leasing subsidiary of BIDV
- Advised international investors (HSBC, DB, Morgan Stanley, Intesa San Paolo, BNP Paribas, SBI Holdings, SCG, CPECC) in acquiring shares of Vietnamese credit institutions and companies (e.g., Habubank, Bao Viet Insurance, Gateway Securities, Vietcombank, VIB Bank, FPT Securities, Prime Group, Hai Duong 2x600MW BOT project)
- Defended and represented international clients (e.g. ANZ, PPF Banca, General Motors, Aon Vietnam, Doosan Heavy Industries, Bachy-Soletanche etc.) before Vietnamese courts (first-instance and appellate levels) in several cases relating to banking and finance; construction or commercial contracts disputes
- American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam (AmCham)
- Certificate of Merit, Hanoi Bar, 2011